Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Simple DIY Lotion Recipe

Simple DIY Lotion Recipe

IMG_2390
Shea butter is a simple yet fabulous item to keep on hand. I am a soaper, so I have it on hand anyway. But this is something that is relatively inexpensive and anyone, I mean ANYONE, can use it. At room temperature, it is a solid. It is a sort of crumbly soft and when you scoop a little bit on your hand it melts almost right away (in small amounts). When I started with lotions, I started with simple.
But the picture above is just shea butter. I melted it in a pot, added some essential oils, and put it through a cake tip to make the swirls in the tin. That was all. No other added this or that. Simple.
If you want something a little more lotiony, here is where you can add 2 more fairly simple ingredients. Sweet almond oil and beeswax. The sweet almond oil is a liquid at room temperature. The beeswax is a harder substance at room temperature and works as an emollient in lotions; simply stated, it helps to mix things together. I have not ventured into lotions that contain water or any other ingredients because I have stopped here. Keep it simple. It works. It goes on slightly greasy, but absorbs quickly and works very well. I live in Northern Maine and the winters are brutal! With this, our hands are protected from the harsh wind and smell great when I add essential oils such as lavender and lemon.
Here’s my recipe:
1 cup  sweet almond oil
1/2 cup shea butter
1/2 cup beeswax
These products can be bought in bulk or in smaller amounts at many online retailers. I use several different ones and no one pays me to write so I will not name any right now. I use only one online seller of essential oils and I love her and her customer service. If you would like some links to the retailers I use comment below.  Thanks for reading! Blessings
Pam at From Away Farms
Here is a link to my etsy store, I may still have some lotions listed https://www.etsy.com/shop/MommysOrganics

No comments:

Post a Comment