Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Day 2 Complete- Why Have We Gotten So Behind?

We completed day 2 of construction today. That's right. Day. Number. TWO. Between the garden, the permits, the family, and most of all, rain, we are so behind. Like 2 months behind.

We started pounded tires 2 days ago despite some mushy spots on the site from all the rain. Don't get me wrong, I'm so very thankful we are not in drought conditions. But, give me a break! We apparently moved to a rainforest in Maine. The kids have done nothing but pray for rain because then they can hang around the house, even if it means chores. We've had some ups and downs with their attitudes toward building and working. We just hope that when they grow up they will only have good memories. this is definitely hard work.

The project is starting quite slowly as we are still figuring this out. Each tire must be individually leveled and then filled with about 3 wheel-barrow full of dirt. Then we level the next tire. Those tires are leveled to each other. We just keep going from there. There are several issues that we haven't quite figured out. The next row of tires up has to be leveled as well. However, when we added a tire just to see how level it would start out, it wasn't level at all. I'm not sure if when we add the dirt if it will start leveling itself out.








This is definitely not the type of house building for everyone. It is extremely labor intensive. It's a little bit too much for me- I'm a fairly small woman. Hubby has to complete my tires once I start pounding because I can't get them packed as well as he can. This makes it very limiting for him because we don't have any help building just yet. Maybe there will be some college kids that will want to come help and learn how to do this. Or maybe I can pull a rabbit out of my hat and win the lottery. A girl can dream right?



Doesn't look like much yet. I am hoping we can have one room done by winter. This house may go from comfortably big to a tiny home real quick!!







No comments:

Post a Comment